I will focus on how it should be setup then intro a plugin to disable what it terms the ‘bloat’.
Yoast should only be used for:
- Adding meta to pages, products and posts
- Either individually or
- using a template
- XML generation
- Only for pages, posts and products
- Be very careful Yoast by default will set every facet of your site to index
- Schema additions
- These are limited, I would use the defaults
- Avoid the auto generated ones
- Learn about schema and add the JSON in content your self
- There are multiple tools for testing
The Features I dont Advise
- The length checker, you can use a simple search engine check and common sense here, this part of the tool slows the editor or SEO down a lot
- SEO logic, via focus keywords, this encourages keyword stuffing and is a bad way to train SEO, understanding and being an ethical SEO are core to success online
- Link analysis, this fosters an idea of interlinking, backlinking and other unnatural patterns, there is no magic and no tricks
- Its file editor leaves a security issues and you can create a robots.txt very easily without this feature
Download these Plugins
Both are free and highly advised.
Other handy plugins for removing things and cleaning up bloat.